1. The Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Program
This federal program is run in collaboration with utility programs across the country.
Who?: Homeowners and renters (but you must be a customer of a participating utility company)
Incentive Details: Up to $7,500 in rebates and 0% interest loans
Participating Maryland Utilities:
– Delmarva Power
– Potomac Edison
Home Upgrades Covered:
– Insulation and air sealing
– Hot water heater replacements
– Installing heat pumps
– And more!
2. Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency Upgrades
Federal tax credits are another great option for saving money on home upgrades, and recent changes to tax law have increased the value of these credits to 30%.
Tax credits can be claimed when you go to file your taxes, and in this case, would lower the amount of federal taxes you owe.
Who?: Homeowners only (renters are not eligible)
– Up to $1,200 in federal tax credits for insulation and air sealing upgrades
– Up to $2,000 for heat pump or heat pump water heater installation
– Up to $600 for high efficiency furnaces, boilers, and central AC installation
3. No-Cost Weatherization Assistance from CAC
The two incentives above offer different ways to take advantage of discounts on home improvements. But our weatherization assistance programs can help Maryland families make home upgrades at no cost at all.
Both renters and homeowners throughout the state can participate. Our weatherization services include:
– Insulation and air sealing upgrades
– Fixing or replacing heating and cooling systems and water heaters
– Upgrading lighting
– And more
To qualify, you must meet our income guidelines. But the requirements for weatherization are different from our other assistance programs, so even if you don’t qualify for those, you might still be eligible for weatherization help. For example, a family of four making $89,400 a year or less could receive no-cost weatherization services from us.