I live outside of Howard County; can I receive services?

Yes, CAC provides weatherization services across the state of Maryland, in 18 counties plus Baltimore City.

Western Region: Washington, Frederick, Carroll

Central Region: Montgomery, Howard, Baltimore County, Baltimore City, Harford

Southern Region: Prince George’s, Anne Arundel

Eastern Shore: Cecil, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Caroline, Talbot, Dorchester, Wicomico, Somerset, Worchester

If you live outside our service areas, please contact us and we’ll be happy to connect you to an agency that can help.

How did you get my information? I don’t remember applying for weatherization.

When you applied for energy or utility assistance, you indicated your interest in energy efficient programs. Don’t worry, no one is selling your information – It’s just two programs working together for your benefit. If you prefer not to move forward with weatherization, please let us know so we can remove you from our list. We understand circumstances change and now may not be the best time for you. You are welcome to reapply at any time. Please note, grant guidelines require us to reach out until you say otherwise.

What happens during the energy assessment audit?

During an energy assessment, our auditors will perform a series of tests throughout your home to determine how your home uses energy. The auditor will need access to the attic, basement, heating & cooling units, bathrooms, and all major appliances. Assessments can take up 3 hours to complete.  

I’m a renter, can I participate?

Yes! Please complete the intake form and a Weatherization staff member will help you get started. When you complete the form, please be sure to have your landlord’s name, phone number, and email address ready so we can contact them to receive the necessary permissions. Click here to check out the Renter’s Pathway to Weatherization for more information.


I’ve received a letter from DHCD, what happens next?

Please call the number listed on your letter and we will get you on the schedule for an energy assessment. If you are a renter, please have your landlord’s name, phone number, and/or email address ready.

How can weatherization help me?

Weatherization helps eligible low-to-moderate income households across the State of Maryland with the installation of energy savings upgrades in their homes at no charge.

The program may provide the following improvements​ to make your home safer, healthier, and more energy efficient:

  • Air infiltration reduction – decreases drafts in the home that can cause heating/cooling loss
  • Insulating the attic, floors, and walls
  • Hot water system improvements – water heater repair/replacement and pipe insulation
  • Lighting upgrades – LED bulbs in all compatible fixtures
  • Heating and Cooling system – clean/tune, safety repairs and/or unit replacement
  • Health and safety items, including installation of smoke/CO detectors

What’s not included?

The weatherization program does not offer roof replacement, new stove, new oven, door repairs/replacement, window repairs/replacement, or any major home repairs.

How is weatherization different than a repair company?

When you call a repair company, it’s due to something being broken in your home. The company will make repairs on that one item then you receive a bill. Weatherization through CAC is a free service that does more than look for broken appliances – our auditors are trained to look for potential energy efficiency improvements to make sure every part of your home works together to lower your energy costs.

How much will this cost me? / How do you get paid?

Weatherization services combine a variety of grants including Department of Energy, EmPOWER Utility partners (BGE, Delmarva Power, FirstEnergy, Pepco, SMECO or Washington Gas​), and Maryland Energy Administration. Weatherization services are free to homeowners and renters. For landlords, we strive to keep their contributions low and, in most cases, also free. Any costs are discussed up front prior to work starting.

How long after the Energy Assessment Audit will the work start?

Our crew will contact you directly to schedule a start date. It typically takes up to two weeks from the energy assessment audit to prepare the work order.  

How long will it take for the work to be completed?

Each weatherization job is customized to meet the home’s energy needs. Some jobs may require two or three specialized crews to complete the work order. Depending on parts needed, weatherization work can take several weeks.

What happens after the work is done?

All weatherization jobs must be inspected by CAC after the crew leaves. You will be contacted by our office to schedule a Quality Control Inspection. Some jobs may require additional inspections from the county – our crew will let you know if additional inspections are required.

What happens during the Quality Control Inspection?

During the Quality Control Inspection (QCI), our trained inspectors perform all of the same tests from the energy assessment audit. We want to be sure the work that was completed by our contractors will truly save you money on your utility bills. The QCI is a required step of the Weatherization process.

I was told I was over income for Utility Assistance, will I be denied for this too?

Weatherization services are available for low-to-moderate income families and have different income limits which are often higher than other services. If your income falls below the maximum outlined below, please complete the interest form to learn more about the services available to you: